Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Women in My Life: Part TWO


My mom will actually be opening her Mother's Day gift ON Mother's Day this year!  She will be so surprised.  I've had it since just after Christmas.  It is a little COACH purse that required me to follow a little lady around for 30-45 minutes, waiting-for-her-to-change-her-mind-and-sit-it-down-so-that-I-could-snatch-it-up Coach purse...*shameless* 

But enough about my horrible shenanigans...on to MY MOM.

How does one describe the way they feel about the person who gave them life?  My mom, who has shown me un-ending love, patience, pride, support and understanding.  "Gratitude" doesn't give the feelings I have for my mama justice.  I think "heart-bursting-love-and-joy" is closer...

My mom was raised on a farm in rural Oregon.   She and her younger sister (I love you, Aunty Debby!) got to play and explore all day long in big, open fields.  Simpler times.  My grandma Jackie taught Mom how to sew, paint, wood-work, and landscape.

Mom designed and planted both the front and back yards when I was ONE.  She has painted our house *herself* every 4-5 years since she and Dad moved in since 1977.  Mom has put in hardwood floor, tile, cabinets, fans, lights, sinks, etc.

Mom made her own clothes from an early age.  She made all my dresses when I was little.   She was a well-known seamstress of extremely detailed, perfectly executed little girls' dresses for boutiques throughout the Willamette Valley when my brother and I were little.  She had to make one of my high school musical costumes from a bed sheet, and I had THE BEST looking costume on that stage.

...She can do ANYTHING, and well. It all looks so perfect. It's not that she is OCD that things look perfect when she does them. It is that she researches the project first, practices, then takes her time to do things correctly. (A lost art....) 

So Mom, I admire you more than I can explain.  Your skill, patience, elegance, love for your family, humor...all of it.  I love spending time with you.  You are my best friend.  Thank you, Mom. 




No comments: